Guwahati or Gauhati is the capital of Assam and a popular city for tourists going to explore the Northeast part of India. Guwahati caters to travelers with different demands with its choice of accommodation, activities and sightseeing. As per Wikipedia, Guwahati is the largest city in the Indian state of Assam and also the largest urban area in Northeast India. A major riverine port city and one of the fastest growing cities in India, that is situated on the south bank of the river Brahmaputra.
Thanks to ease of connectivity by railroads and a thriving airport, the city is among the top priorities for the visitors who are looking to tour the Northeast States. Here below we list the top 8 most popular destinations for tourists visiting Guwahati and Assam.
- Umananda Temple – Umananda Temple is a Shiva temple located on the Peacock Island, in the middle of river Brahmaputra. Peacock Island, which houses the Umanada Temple, is known as smallest inhabited riverine island in the world. Country boats are available all the time during the day to ferry people to and from the banks of the river Brahmaputra.
- Kamakhya Temple – The Kamakhya temple is a Kali peetha and also one of the most revered shrines of Goddess Shakti in India, in the form of Kamakhya. The temple is located on the Nilachal Hills around a distance of 7 km from Guwahati. The Kamakhaya temple is of great religious importance for pilgrims and is known to hold tremendous historic and archeological significance.
- Assam State Museum – The Assam State Museum is placed at the core of the city of Guwahati in Assam. The museum was established in the year of 1940 by the Assam Research Society. Subsequently the museum was taken over by the State Government in the year of 1953. Mr Kanklal Baruah was founder president of this museum. For tourists looking to visit there, the museum remains open for six days (10 am-5 pm) during the summer time.
- Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary – One of the major wildlife sanctuaries of Assam, the Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary is located on the border of Nagaon and Kamrup District. Famous majorly for its One Horned Rhinoceros it is a must visit for tourists! November to February offer best weather conditions.
- Umananda River Island – The smallest river island in the world, Umananda Island is a place with legends aplenty, a place where man and the wilderness co-habit in peace and serenity.
- Guru Vashishta Ashram – Guru Vashisht is credited to writing the Hindu epic of Vashishtha Ramayana. It is believed that the sage constructed this ashram and later breathed his last here.
- Kaziranga National Park – Being one of the most popular destinations, this place is home to the one horned rhinoceros population, and a World Heritage Site. Sitting in the laps of Mother Nature, this park has a very versatile bio diversity which makes Kaziranga National Park a very important and popular tourist destination.
- Bhuvaneshwari Temple – Dedicated to Goddess Bhuvaneshwari, the temple is perched atop a hill near to the city and happens to be a major draw among-st the religious minded tourists. Bhuvaneshwari temple provides visitors with a magnificent panoramic view of the entire city of Guwahati.
We provide various types of tourist cars at affordable prices to every destinations in and around Assam and Meghalaya. We guarantee safety and quality tour cars for every traveler traveling with us. Get in touch with us via phone or chat to easily book your Assam tour car rentals and pay later.